Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hell scenes in Chinese temple, Pasir Penambang




When I was caving in Vietnam in July 2011, we visited one cave, Dong Am Phu, also known as hell cave. In the lower section of the cave there are many statues depicting gruesome scenes from hell, showing people being torutured. Our guide tried to explain that it refers to how you lead your life in Buddhism, you can choose whether to lead a good or bad life.

So I was interested to see similiar scenes shown as a mural in a Chinese temple at Pasir Penambang near Kuala Selangor. The temple seems to be to the Monkey God as there are several statues of monkeys. And a painting from the story Journey to the West.

One whole wall was covered by the mural.. My friend told me one has to pass through 7 chambers of hell in order to reach heaven or redemption.

There are 2 adjacent temples at Pasir Penambang. The other one is Qi Jian Xian Shi Fo Zu Gu Miao and has a cave built on the top.

The temple -
The mural showing 7 chambers of hell
The main altar
Monkey at outside gate

© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

1 comment:

  1. "My friend told me one has to pass through 7 chambers of hell in order to reach heaven or redemption."
    Not correct as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete