Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Battersea power station chimneys

When I saw Battersea power station in December 2015, three of the four iconic chimneys were still standing. I had read that they were going to be replaced or restored as part of the development of the old power station.

I was surprised when I was sitting on a train from Victoria in April 2016 and as the train went past the end of the luxury flats that obscure the view of the power station, I noticed there was only one chimney. I didn't have my camera with me, just the lousy camera on my phone, but I managed to get a couple of photos.

The Dec 2015 view from across the river -

And the current view, from the Dogs and Cats Home -


I googled the chimneys and found a website giving the history and story of the chimneys. This group,which includes Setia and Sime Darby from Malaysia, are "committed to rebuilding all four chimneys, from the base upwards, using the same methods as before, so that they will be identical, only stronger, safer, and secure for generations to come. The famous chimneys will rise from the ashes and be put to use once again – not to release smoke or dangerous gasses into the atmosphere, but as flues for harmless water vapour emission and air intake.". And "These iconic chimneys, so definitively imprinted on the south London landscape, are central to our design, our planning and our brand interests."

A page on the chimney update says "Battersea Power Station's four chimneys are iconic structures that are instantly recognisable and a much-loved feature of London's skyline. We are incredibly proud of the chimneys, and they are at the heart of the vibrant new neighbourhood we are creating. All four chimneys are on schedule to be fully rebuilt in late Summer 2016. Painting of the four chimneys is expected to then commence in Spring 2017". So it looks like the work is on schedule.

This page has some interesting information, about how the chimneys will be carefully dismantled and then rebuilt. The work is taking place with the approval of Historic England.

I look forward to seeing all four chimneys back in place in 2017!

**

No comments:

Post a Comment