Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Walthamstow Marshes & Lea River nature area

Wetlands around London are on my "to do" list. These include Walthamstow Marshes as I imagined they would be an area of wetlands. As I was in the area and had time, I decided to visit. I hadn't read up on the area so knew nothing about it - so was disappointed to find it is not a marshy area as I expected, but just a common.

Firstly I looked at Hackney Marshes which is surrounded by the River Lea and the navigation channel. 


As I could see it was just an area of common, I didn't bother to explore. I had a quick look at the nature reserve, but wasn't sure if the centre would be open after Covid-19 so decided to go onto Walthamstow Marshes.

I saw a few people picking sloes, so I picked a few as well. Years ago I used to make sloe gin which was absolutely delicious. Sloes grow on blackthorn trees. It's probably a bit early to pick them but I don't generally see them in my area.

I used the underpass to get to Walthamstow Marshes. I was again disappointed to see two areas of common and  no marsh. Firstly I looked at the horses at the riding centre. 





I had a look at the common but it was uninspiring so I didn't stay long.



Wikipedia describes it as "a 36.7 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Walthamstow in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. It was once an area of lammas land – common land used for growing crops and grazing cattle. The marshes are one of the last remaining examples of semi-natural wetland in Greater London. They contain a variety of plant communities typical of a former flood plain location, such as a range of neutral grassland types, sedge marsh, reed swamp, sallow scrub and areas of tall herb vegetation. Associated with this diversity of habitat are several species of plant and insect which are uncommon in the London area.".

Not far away is the Walthamstow pump museum which I visited last year, and also the Markfield Beam Engine which I also visited last year.



Next on my list to visit is the London Wetlands Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment