Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Autumn equinox 2020

Tuesday, 22 September 2020 was the autumn equinox. This is the first day of autumn in UK. 

September has generally been warm, with many days in the mid 20's C in London. It was 24℃ on the equinox. But that was set to change as the forecast for the next few days was down to about 13 C.


It's been a very dry summer. There was hardly any rain in the SE of England.

This year there has been an abundance of apples on the trees around me, and the conkers on the horse chestnut trees have been plentiful and large in size. Also the grape vines have produced lots of fruit this year.

Twin conkers !



I love conkers. As a child I used to play "conkers" with my parents, so that meant collecting as many as I could. And I still can't resist picking them up when I see fat, shiny brown ones lying on the floor. I soon dry out though. I no longer play conkers, instead I use them to throw at cats that disturb the birds and squirrels. 

Conkers is a traditional children's game in Great Britain, played using the seeds of horse chestnut trees. The game has two players, each with a conker threaded onto a piece of string: they take turns striking each other's conker until one breaks. It was quite a painful game as often a conker would hit your hand. And unless you held the string tightly there was the chance it would be pulled from your hand. See Wikipedia on the game of conkers, and another page on Historic UK.


Not many leaves are falling yet except for this tree, I'm not sure if it is a rowan




My blog on Autumn equinox 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment