Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Arkley - Barnet Gate windmill, London

There are a few windmills left in London, and I keep discovering ones new to me. There are 4 windmills that are sometimes open to the public, see my introduction on windmills. There are also several more that are private. I discovered one of those last week.

In March 2021 I was on a 107 bus between Borehamwood / Elstree and High Barnet, when I saw a windmill at Arkley. As the bus sped by, I only got a glimpse but it looked in good condition, so decided to investigate further.

The Wikipedia list of London windmills.

Arkley Windmill or Barnet Gate Mill is a Grade II listed tower mill. It is at Barnet Gate, which used to be in Hertfordshire, but is now in the London Borough of Barnet. It was built in 1823.


As there is no public access, it was very difficult to get a good photo, as there were tall hedges in the way. Also the 4 sails were camouflaged against the grey rainy sky.



The tower mill is 4 storey. Wikipedia has a lot more technical information. There is also some information and a lot of historical photos on Windmill World. And the listing on Historic England.



No comments:

Post a Comment