Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Nanortalik, Greenland

 After leaving Narsarsuaq in Southern Greenland, our next stop was Nanortalik. The name means "place of polar bears" and it is Greenland's most southerly town.



It was an anchor port, with a short tender ride to town. We were anchored near an iceberg. It was sunny, 6⁰C, with fog/cloud drifting through the bay. 7.30 am and the tenders were already out. 

 



It was nice when the fog lifted and there was blue sky and sun -



I walked into town and the first shop I went into was a fish shop, selling porpoise, seal and caribou  -



Interesting mural


Some locals were doing some traditional displays for us, the first one was drum dancing -


I took photos of the locals who were watching the drummer -











I went on to the church as the choir were doing a performance - choir singing is synonymous with Nanortalik.





I found the whole area very attractive, with large boulders all over, colourful buildings green grass and yellow flowers, blue sky and clouds partly obscuring the hills.




A rock face -


Nanortalik open-air museum consists of many individual buildings housing different things.



I did a circular route round the town. The small wooden houses are on an upper level.




A siskin (?) -

Saw the cemetery by the school where the parents were all picking up their kids. I really liked the town.



I went back to the ship for lunch. The iceberg was looking good in the sun. Clouds were still rolling through the valley.





After lunch I went back to town for another wander round and took a load more photos. I checked out the 2 supermarkets. 


Iceland poppies -

Inuit clothes -







I was reluctant to go back and sat by the harbour for a while. It was the last day ashore in Greenland and I had really enjoyed the time in Nanortalik.








No comments:

Post a Comment