Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Tioman monitor lizards




Monitor lizards are taking over Tioman! In Dec 2010 there were far more lizards than tourists. They are everywhere, on the roads, by the chalets, in streams, on the beach. Obviously there is an abundance of food for them and they are thriving, and are relatively unconcerned by the presence of humans.

They come in all sizes. In fact they are specifically mentioned on Wikipedia. I wonder if they suffer from inbreeding as I can't imagine them walking very far to find a mate.
beach monitor getting a suntan
Jurassic beach ! One enjoys a swim !
Looking for food
Strolling along -
peek a boo
unconcerned by my presence
A fatty !
The last one I saw, as I was leaving for the airport.

© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

4 comments:

  1. I am thinking of going to Tioman. Will appriciate your suggestions. Don't want to go during the storm period. Like you, I want to take photos of lizards and most importantly the butterflies and insects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with umbrella, jacket and clothes for bad weather as the forecast was bad........... and the weather was really good. However the monsoon lasts until Feb, in theory.
    You can get a room from RM20 at the moment.
    Saw so many butterflies, they were everywhere. Sadly there are no fruit bats roosting along the beaches, but you can see them flying in the evening, so they are now living somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend in Kuantan told me the best season is to go in April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good time, as the monsoon is over, and there are not so many Europeans.

    ReplyDelete