Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Komuter train - ladies only coach


I've only used the KTM Komuter train once or twice in the past, as I rarely travel by train.
This week I decided to check out the new bus terminal, Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (photos) at Bandar Tasik Selatan (TBSBTS). I took the Komuter train.


Had to wait more than 25 mins for the train which was crowded. It was hard to get on as there were several passengers with luggage standing near the doors. The train totally filled up and Polis Bantuan were trying to get people to move into the carriages and not crowd the doors. It was horrible.

So I was quite amazed when an Indian immigrant tapped my arm and offered me his seat, and made sure no one else grabbed the seat before I could sit down. Such kindness is rare in Malaysia and I made sure to thank him. I found the seats were rather narrow and I was in physical contact with the people either side. Maybe this is one reason why KTM decided to introduce the Ladies Coach last year.


The webpage says
Ladies Coach – Ladies Only At All Times (First in Malaysia)

The Ladies Coach is a coach specially reserved for lady passengers as an option when using KTM Komuter train service. It has been introduced in an effort to provide female commuters with a comfortable and safe journey, avoiding the risks of sexual harassment in a congested environment.

Apart from being located in the middle of each train, the colour Pink plays an important part in the Ladies Coach. Special stickers in pink are found on windows and doors inside the train and certain areas of the exterior.

At stations, banners are found at designated areas on poles painted in pink.

The Ladies Coach is located in the middle of each KTM Komuter train made available at all times inclusive of weekends and public holidays unless notified otherwise. Lady passengers of all ages and boys below the age of 12 accompanied by a female guardian / relative.

The Ladies Coach will be operational effective 28 April 2010. For a start, the Ladies Coach will be made available on the Sentul – Pelabuhan Klang – Sentul sector.


Needless to say the rules of Ladies Only are not adhered to, and I did see men in the ladies coach. And when I got back to Sentral quite a few men got into the ladies coach. Read this amusing blog.













I had the impression the ladies carriage occupied a good proportion of the train, but according to KTM, "The ladies coach only makes up 33.5 % of the space available in the train, while the other 66.5 % is still meant for normal passenger coaches".

At Bandar Tasik Selatan I felt sorry for those people with luggage. They had to walk up stairs with the luggage, then queue to exit, as there was only one exit aisle, which was being manned, so everyone had to hand in their ticket for inspection, or swipe the Touch n Go.

Considering BTS station will now be getting heavy use as it is the exit for the bus terminal, they really need to increase the number of exit lanes.

And when I returned to Mid Valley station the monsoon rain was pouring through the roof of the covered walkway.


© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

2 comments:

  1. What happens if my wife and I take the train - she sits on lady compartment and I sit far away on the male side ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only the Ladies Coaches that are single sex. The remaing coaches are for anyone.

    ReplyDelete