Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Afternoon Tea v High Tea

I enjoy going to nice places for High Tea. High Tea is quite common in S E Asia, and is not to be confused with the English afternoon tea. The latter is generally just a cup of tea and a cake or biscuit eaten as an afternoon snack.

High Tea is very different. It is almost a meal in itself. And it is not cheap, it often costs more than a meal. I don't recall ever having a High Tea in England. In any case the cost there is ridiculous. A quick google shows that Claridge's Hotel in Mayfair, London, charges £50 (exc. service charge) for a classic afternoon tea.

In Malaysia, High Tea really varies according to the place. Some places serve a Malaysian version, or fusion, and include Malaysian snacks like noodles, curry puffs, local kuih (cakes). I don't go to those.

I only go to those that have traditional items - finger sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, cakes and pastries.

Christmas 2010 I went to the Grand Millenium Hotel in Bukit Bintang for their "English Afternoon Tea". It was really good.

It served the items that I like.


At RM28 ++, it was quite good value for a treat. In Dec 2013 I went to ask about the current high tea and was disappointed to find it is now RM58++ for a chocolate hi-tea. Although it sounds nice, I think it might be a bit too much - in terms of chocolate and cost!

Durian light

Other high teas I have enjoyed have been in the Strand Hotel, in Yangon in Myanmar. And one in Sandakan, Sabah, at the English tea house.

© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission


No comments:

Post a Comment