Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Back in Phuket again

I am in Phuket again. I've been coming here 'regularly' for the last few years. Having first visited Phuket (and Thailand) in 1988, I then avoided it for many years, as I considered it too touristy and not the real Thailand. This is still true in my opinion, but I started coming again in the early 2000s and went immediately after the 2004 tsunami. At that time I stayed in Phuket town. Next visit was 2008. Then from 2013 onwards I started 'regular' visits, usually staying in Patong.

Although I still consider it to be too touristy, and not the 'real' Thailand, I enjoy coming as I can relax and do very little, don't need to go sightseeing, so can just laze around. I know where to eat good food at cheap prices, I ignore all the tourist restaurants and bars.

The sad thing is all the sticky cake stalls seem to have disappeared. I used to love these in Thailand. These photos are from 2008 -



And the pancakes, which were 10 Bt when they first appeared (1990s?) now cost up to 80 Bt.

The beach chairs in 2016 -

have now been replaced by these


Most tourists in my hotel are Russians, Chinese and Indians. Last year there were a lot of Middle East people. The hotel manager, a Russian, said Patong is 40% Russian whereas Kata is now 100%. I went to Kata in 2015 and didn't like it, as it was like mini Russia then.

On my current visit, I was intersted to read this article in the Bangkok Post on 3 Nov 2017 :


Phuket friendliness scores well on index 
3 Nov 2017 
BUSINESS > TOURISM & TRANSPORT | WRITER: SUCHAT SRITAMA 

Phuket is at the top of a competitiveness index thanks to product quality and local friendliness, according to a study by the Public Policy Studies Institute Foundation (PPSI). 

The competitiveness index looked at major tourist destinations in Thailand except Bangkok. 

The index found Phuket topped the list, followed by Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, Krabi, Songkhla, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phangnga, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Samut Prakan, respectively. 

The research was conducted recently, focusing on two indicators: arrival numbers and local friendliness. However, some of the highly competitive locations had low scores on the environment, safety or cleaning issues.

For example, Chon Buri province had the second-most visits in the country but it had a low score for environmental issues. Chiang Mai ranked third in arrivals but faced the same problem. 

One recent study on how to develop cruise tourism here found many liners are interested in this emerging market, especially families and working-age travellers. Laem Chabang port in Chon Buri, Samui port in Surat Thani and Phuket port all have high potential to serve cruise tourism.  

Average spending for cruise travellers is 6,174 baht per day per person, which is higher than the average for all tourists. 


Whilst I was in Patong a cruise ship came in, Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas. When I googled it I see it mostly goes to Phuket, Penang, Langkawi, Klang and Singapore.


No comments:

Post a Comment