Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

Funchal was our 3rd stop on the Amazon cruise in Jan 2020. The earlier stops were Porto and Rotterdam. Funchal is the capital of Portugal's Autonomous Region of Madeira. Madeira is situated off the west coast of Africa.


I went to Madeira in May 2019, and spent a week there. I went into Funchal a few times. I had really liked the botanic gardens and wanted to go back. I'd remembered to take my Giro bus card with me and was able to top it up just 2 fares, at €1.35. Took bus 31 up to the Botanic Gardens. Entry was €6. 2020 display -



I didn't spend too long in the park as the buses were only half hourly and I wanted to see things in town.

Back in town I went to Anadia supermarket and to Pingo Doce for an egg tart.

The river ducks were still there but hadn't any babies this time of year. However there were a lot of pigeons.

 I popped into the market and Christmas decorations were still up.


I went to the nearby Rua de Santa Maria, a small alley where most of the doors now have murals. There are many restaurants and cafes.




  

Along the water front



Funchal from the ship


---   ----

See the next blog on my Amazon cruise - Mindelo, Sao Vicente, Cape Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment