Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Walthamstow Wetlands

Shortly after I went to Walthamstow Marshes, I discovered that the Walthamstow Wetlands lie just to the north. They looked quite extensive on the map, so I put them on my "to do" list.

The first map shows the general area, with Walthamstow Marshes, and Markfield Beam Engine and Walthamstow Pumphouse Museum, which are all places I have visited.


This map shows a close up of the Walthamstow reservoirs -

I went in the main, northern entrance, shown as Walthamstow Wetlands on the above map. A boardwalk runs alongside a small branch of the River Lea to the 1894 Engine House, now a cafe. The building used to house the steam engine which pumped water through the reservoirs.



The railway line runs right behind the building -

I then walked along East Warwick Reservoir to the old Coppermill. There is a grassy pedestrian path at high level alongside the reservoir, and a lower path for cycling and jogging alongside the Coppermill Stream.


The wetlands are a popular place for bird watching, but all the birds were too far away to see easily. There are bird hides but these are currently closed due to the Covid-19 restrictions. The old coppermill is also closed -




See more on Walthamstow Wetlands page. 

**


No comments:

Post a Comment