Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Snatch thefts in Malaysia


Snatch thefts are an increasing problem in Malaysia. It is particularly bad in cities such as KL, Johor and Penang. But other towns also suffer from this problem. It is generally 2 men on a motorbike who snatch the bag of any victim they can find. There have been many injuries and even some fatalities when the person, usually a lady, tries to hold onto the bag and gets dragged by the pillion rider. In some cases even the thieves have been injured or died when crashing after the theft, or have been caught by angry citizens.

I was a victim of such thieves in Miri many years ago. And again more recently in Bangsar outside BSC some time ago. I had just got out of my car and was about to walk off when my bag was grabbed. Luckily I hadn't even had time to put my car keys in the bag. Since that event, I have been very wary when walking anywhere in KL, especially Bangsar. I try not to use a bag now, but if I do, I always make sure I never have rhe bag on the outside of my body, and use one which can strap across my body.

Since that event I am always alert and if I hear a motorbike, I make sure I look to see who is driving, sometimes glaring at some poor innocent rider!

Just 3 months after my loss, I had an attempted snatch. Again it was in Bangsar, and I was walking back to my car from the supermarket. Being alert for bikes since my earlier loss, I got suspicious when I could hear a bike coming behind me. I immediately moved into the side of the road so that I was sheltered by the parked cars. The bike cruised by slowly and I soon reached my car. Luckily I kept my wits about me, and watched the bike, because as I got into my car, the bike which was ahead, turned round and came back towards me. I knew something was up so quickly got into my car and managed to lock the doors (thank goodness for quick locking doors), just as the pillion rider got off the bike, came to my car, and tried to open the passenger door (which was the one next to the road). I looked straight into his eyes as he tried the door, and I was terrified he would damage my car, but he just went back to the bike and they drove off. I was shaking and sat and recovered, then as I drove off about 5 minutes later, I saw the same bike crusiing around. As I had a good description by then, I decided to to go the Bangsar Polis pondok to make a report - this was a total waste of time as the policemen weren't interested and only half heartedly took a statement.

That was some time ago, but snatch thefts are still a problem, and I know of so many people who know of someone who has been a victim. Some thieves are even using cars, and just grab the bag from the open window as they drive past. This is even more dangerous for the victim who is likely to be dragged if not letting go of the bag.

And because of this problem, they have now erected road signs in Bangsar warning of snatch thieves. The signs are only along the main road, they need to put some in the housing areas where the thefts usually occur. Other suburbs of KL also have similiar signs. The 3rd photo is taken from Star warning about pickpockets and snatch thefts.

Some thieves are even using parangs now to attack the victim.

And I was quite surprised to see that Wikipedia even has an entry about Malaysian snatch thefts.



I later saw one sign at Bukit Bintang.


© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

3 comments:

  1. You are correct to say the police took the report half heartedly. Many people never bothered to report as no action has been taken. The streets are infested with these people and become more bold since they know very well the police can't be bothered. If you beat the Malay snatch thief the police will scold you. And if you say the thief is Malay, they will say don't be prejudice against the Malay. If it is other races you can say loudly and with no fear. Cautions: walk facing the trafic flow so that you can see what's coming infront of you. If your hand bag is being pulled - hold your hand bag squart and jerk. Practice this regularly with imagination at home. The biker will fall. You can kick him on his balls - the easiest way to bring down a man. And run to a crowded place for assistance shouting loudly for help. If you keep quite no body dares to help as they do not know what is going on. If you are suspecious run back to where the crowd is. It's a fatal mistake to make a quick dash to your car. Shout for help .. ask people to accompany you to your car. Shit government and police and money mau kah. Next time vote for PR. Putting up the signs is like tell you to be careful yourself, the police has no time for you, and no profit by exterminating the thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Within hours of posting this, today's paper (Sept 27) reports "Straight As student dies after snatch theft". a 17 yr old schoolgirl held onto her bag, was dragged and hit her head, and later died. Another tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No other commitment or voice out by your friends and readers ? How can we pressure the gov to change and to do something positive instead of wasting too much time on how to buy and gain power. Sad story - 17 yrs girl got killed - reaction pityful, lo. Can pity buy back life or tell the gov do something or be thrown out ? Blame us the people first. Walk like a tiger in the wild. The fittest survives.

    ReplyDelete