Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sundog - sunlight effect

When I opened my windows at 8am today, 22 Sept 2009, I noticed a strange light effect in the sky. At first I thought it was a reflection of the sun in my windows, as I often see strange reflections as my windows open at all different angles. When I looked again, I realised I was not looking through the glass, but at the actual sky. At first glance I thought it was a rainbow, but on closer look, could see it was apparently red and orange colours. I assume it was the sun reflecting on something. Incidentally the sun was to the left, at the same height, and hidden by cloud.

The sun is in the far left of the first photo, at the same height as the mystery colours













The effect lasted at least 25 minutes, and was there with and without clouds behind. Maybe someone can explain it.................


© Liz Price 
No reproduction without permission

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! It is a so-called sundog. Reflection of the sunlight in the ice crystals of cirrus clouds.
    Click here for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow......... thanks Jan. I thought you would know!! I've never heard of sundog. Wonder how it got the name - because it guards the sun???
    Wikipedia also has a nice explanation.
    I never thought to look in the opposite direction to see if there was another sundog as it says they come as pairs.

    ReplyDelete