Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Frasers Hill 2010

Having been to Raub, I decided to return to KL by going via Frasers Hill. It was only when I started up the road from Raub that I realised this weekend is the annual bird race. As it was only Friday afternoon I decided to risk going, hoping it wouldn't be too busy.

The road up from Raub is more winding and narrow than the road from KKB. And from The Gap, the new road to the top is still closed. Ever since it was built, it's been plagued by landslides and now seems permanently closed.
almost at the Gap


When I got to The Gap I was debating whether to go up or not, and the decision was made for me when I saw the gate was open. However I got stuck in a convoy of cars behind 2 lorries which wasn't much fun.

At the town centre, there was nowhere to park, so I went for a drive round.


Stopped at the Smokehouse and the 2 lorries arrived, going down on the waterfall road, both blaring their horns at every bend. So I decided against going down to the falls.
lorries going down to the waterfall


Saw a few birders out. This year's bird race doesn't seem to be very well advertised. However the bird race has hardly been advertised this year and doesn't seem to be in the Malaysian newspapers at all.

Entrance to The Pines
Admiralty Bungalow
TM bungalow
Whittington -


When I got back to the town and saw the gate had just opened, I decided to leave. At the Gap there was a queue of cars waiting to come up. The resthouse is closed for renovation, and there is a new suspended walkway across the road, which wasn't open.


I enjoyed the drive down to Kuala Kubu Baru as I had the downhill side of the road completely to myself. There were a lot of cars parked at the Chiling falls, so I didn't bother to stop. It's the first time I've seen water in the dam, as last time I went to Fraser's Hill, it was still under construction. They started filling the dam in 2002.


© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

3 comments:

  1. It has been closed for a long time already. Really sad, it was such a nice place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the new road being perpetually closed ... but a resthouse formerly well kept and operated for generations ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems that the renovations have stopped. The place seems abandoned. The suspension bridge is rusting away. Wonder how many millions of RM were spent on that!

    ReplyDelete