Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Gombak-Genting-Bentong old road

I always enjoy going up the old Gombak Road to Genting. Once you have gone past the kampungs and Orang Asli museum, the road really feels rural. This is the orang asli museum


It has such a nice feel and you can switch off the car aicon and enjoy the fresh air. And I always feel smug looking down on the vehicles dashing along the highway below, knowing they are not experiencing the fresh air, and also have to pay a highway toll.


The one negative thing about using the road is that you generally have to share it with large trucks, who use it as a means of avoiding the highway.

When I went up on 19 June, there were no macaques on the roadside, which is quite unusual. Wondered if they'd all moved downhill to the urban sprawl where food is more abundant! Also I saw no orang asli walking along.

In Malaysia I am always amused when large sheets of plastic are used to cover landslide areas. I've never worked out if this is to hold the hillside in place, or what. The sad thing is when the plastic has ripped to shreds, it is not removed but remains there as an eyesore.


The other nasty thing is the fact that people dump rubbish alongside the road. This seems mostly contractors rubbish, things like building materials. There was even part of a Chinese shrine.

There are a coupe of small temples along the road, and also some roadside shrines, both Chinese and Indian. Some are at the base of large trees.



When I reached Genting Sempah, I have to admit I went to McDs for breakfast.


Having driven from Gombak to Genting on the old road, I then continued my journey to Bentong, still using the old road. Soon after leaving the Genting junction, I heard gibbons calling. These are my favourite of the apes and with the windows open and radio switched off, I could hear them clearly.

As always I stopped at the waterfall. Waterfall Jan is in Europe at the moment, so these pic are to remind him of what he is missing!!
Bentong road shrine -
Rubbish -


There are many bird houses being built now in Malaysia, and I saw one on the way to Bentong. There were many more on the road from Bentong to Raub.


From Bentong I went on to Raub via Chamang waterfall.

© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

4 comments: