Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Monday, March 16, 2020

The Azores - Faial & Sao Miguel

After leaving the Caribbean, we had 5 days at sea before reaching the Azores. On the way we saw some dolpins. They look quite small from high up on deck 10!

The Azores are a group of 9 volcanic islands in the North Atlantic sea, 1360 km west of Portugal. They are one of the two autonomous regions of Portugal along with Madeira. We visited 2 islands, Faial and Sao Miguel.

We stopped at both those islands last year, so this time I didn't take many photos. Most of my photos of  Horta and Faial can be seen on this blog. This was also our first stop on this visit.
The pilot climbing the ladder up to our ship -





I'd missed Peter's Cafe Sport last year. It is a yachting pub and cafe popular with yachtsmen and other people who cross the Atlantic. It was established in 1918.


I then went to the beach and walked along to the headland.




In the morning I'd tried to get on the public bus that goes around the island, but it was full. The bus
company laid on another bus in the afternoon for us, which was really nice. And we had a lovely driver who stopped at a few viewpoints and allowed us to get off and take photos.

The bus went anticlockwise around the island, covering much of the area I had seen last year. It took
almost 2 hours.



Capelinhos Volcano and lighthouse


Next day we were at Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel. I was lazy and didn't do much. Morning and sunset views -



--

See the next blog on my Amazon & Caribbean cruise - Vigo in northern Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment