Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fogging against mosquitoes



I have been amused by the word 'fogging' since I first heard it in Malaysia. Periodically my condo is fogged, and we are enveloped in clouds of fogging material which is supposed to kill the mosquitoes. However it seems to drive them indoors, where they hide in cupboards until it is safe to come out that night and bite. This is rather worrying as there have been a few cases of dengue here in the past months.

One of my very first encounters with fogging was years ago when I answered a knock on the door and a man said "hello, we are the dengue men". Reminds me of Ken Dodd's 'we are the diddy men" (from 1960s UK TV).

They were actually checking all units for standing water etc, and then they sprayed each house, which meant the occupants had to leave for about 10 minutes.

I'm always amazed to see that the men who do the fogging don't wear any form of respirator or mask and seem oblivious to the fact they are surrounded in a cloud of pesticide chemicals. The fogging machine is very noisy but they don't wear earplugs. Nor do they wear any protective glasses.

Yesterday my condo was fogged, seems to be a new company who were doing it. The men put loads of 'fog' down the drains and that was it. They then spent some time cleaning their car before leaving!





 Enough fogging, let's clean the car



Sometimes there are huge clouds......



© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

2 comments:

  1. you are lucky they didn't put some larvae in a cola bottle and claim you breed dengue mosquito. as always the only way out is to pay coffee money. they are so expert that they can even tell you that these are dengue larvae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, do they do that :-(
    I see in The Sun, Fri 12th, the Shah Alam council is giving 50% discount if you pay your compound arrears for things like mosquito breeding. I find it amazing that Malaysia gives people a discount on their summons !!!

    ReplyDelete